Wednesday, May 22, 2013

I apologize.... and an update on Ethan/family

The past few weeks have been some of the hardest, personally, for our family.  A dear close friend of ours passed away last week.  His decline, from the cancer that he had been fighting for not even a year, was all of a sudden VERY quick.  I was able to be by his bedside and with the family daily.  Our friend has been our friend for over nineteen years.  He and his wife played Rook with us almost every Friday night for the past eighteen years.  Having a 'couple friend' is just no the norm as it is a rare thing to be blessed with and we were very blessed.  Our hearts ached as this last week has been spent with the family and we will continue to be very involved in their lives in the future.  PLEASE keep the Troxel family in your prayers.
Ethan's IEP meeting was yesterday with his amazing teacher, his wonderful gym teacher and the head of the school. I am reading over the IEP report and i am in awe of the fact that Ethan has been able to go to church more often lately. I know that many people do not see what we see here at home (even if you are here for long time periods) but to have what WE see be validated was also, a relief of sorts.
Just a few small parts of the almost 20 page report...."during structured cognitive activities directed by the teacher, Ethan is able to attend for very brief periods of time (30 seconds to 2 minutes)." So my response to that is that if anyone had been wondering why i wasn't at church very often this whole past year, THIS would be the reason. AND the miracle??? ETHAN HAS sat through one full service/sermon once and almost did it this past week ( i was 'glistening' by the time the service was done though). SO, to tell you the truth, it makes me all the more excited over the fact that Ethan HAS done as well as he HAS done in church the past few times that i have felt that we could TRY it. AGAIN, this means that IF you DO see me at church WITH Ethan, PRAY for us as it is a VERY big deal for him!!!
There is so much more and may i tell you that when i read all that he is still struggling with, i am saddened. My heart breaks. I'll get back to my fightin' mama stance but tonight, my heart weeps. He has a long road ahead of him and i am SO blessed to know that he has a family that will be with him every step that he takes....and that that family has me as the 

Mommy ;) I am ALWAYS BLESSED.
PS.  Ethan's biting of his siblings and myself has stopped almost completely.  We had a very hard first year and what was really strange to me was that one of the hardest times was for about four weeks starting late in the tenth month.  I also apologize for not doing a special update on his one year but that was the week that our friend was dying.   I am still in grief as it has only been a little over a week.  I will try my best to update you more.  Thank you to those of you who pray for our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment